||Hearing the Voice of God|
Can we really hear His voice? Does God communicate with us? If so, does he speak to us often? Let’s see what the Word says.
"My sheep hear my voice (John 10:27)" . . . and the Spirit of Truth … will guide you into all truth … and He will show you things to come (John 16:13).” … It should be normal to hear His voice. Let’s see how God is speaking to us throughout the day in a number of different ways (Romans 8:14)!
How do we hear Him speak?
The foundation of truth, of His Voice is the written Word of God, the bible. Read it and meditate on it everyday day, at least a few minutes. We should also “water” the word by much prayer, particularly praying in tongues throughout the day. Through the Holy Spirit, the bible scriptures become God’s voice to us.
We must spend time with God in the Word and become tuned into the Spirit. He is always ready to speak to us! God is looking for listeners. He desires to talk to us. Walking with God involves a lifestyle of listening throughout the day. We also need to have a daily quiet time with Him. Ask Him questions everyday. He will give us unlimited wisdom.
Real listening to God or man is easy and yet difficult. “Difficult--because it calls for the most complete and constant death of self, loss of our independence, and loss of being in control. We are no longer able to live in denial or minimizing because we have surrendered our will to His, and because “real listening” includes seeking Him until we get the answers, whether it be seconds, minutes, hours or days. We also must be willing to “hear God” through wise advice of others.
Why is it important to hear God's voice?
1. It is a key to relationship, to knowing God, to intimacy, to wisdom and to living in the Glory. “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God (Romans 8:14).”
2. It develops our faith because faith comes by hearing the voice of God. God will always show us what to do and what not to do. “The Spirit of Truth will guide us into all truth (John 16:13).”
3. It is essential to doing the will of God, to being obedient, and thus being successful in every area of our lives.
Other ways God speaks:
1) LISTEN and EXPECT Him to speak . . . Practice listening for his voice THROUGHOUT THE DAY! Don't expect His voice to be sensational, a booming audible voice (rare). He will speak to you--in thoughts, in desires, through an inner witness, and through a knowing that comes deep within, and also in a still, small voice. He will give you a deep peace about what to do, and a bad feeling to warn you what not to do. . . From this moment forth expect to be hearing God throughout the day!
2) ASK QUESTIONS and EXPECT Him to answer. He will enjoy doing it! Pray in tongues for the answers to your questions until you feel the answer has been birthed within you. “For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries (1 Co 14:2).” In the Bible, “mysteries” refers not to knowledge withheld, but to truth revealed. As we pray in tongues truth is revealed to us. The answer may come the moment we finish praying in tongues, a few minutes later, five hours later, or days later. But it will come. . . Be obedient to God’s Voice, and it will increase your ability to hear Him speak.
3) LOOK and EXPECT to see pictures, and visions with your eyes closed and even opened. These are from God! Do this THROUGHOUT THE DAY!
4) God speaks through Prophecy (or tongues and Interpretation)--corporate and personal.
5) Through wise advice or counsel of others... Be a good listener. Much of what you hear will be from God!
6) Through anointed tapes and books.
7) For husbands: Listen to your wife. It is often God speaking!
Some Other Important Tips about Hearing His Voice:
1. Pray at least thirty minutes in tongues everyday. You will be more sensitive to His Presence and to His voice.
2. Instead of complaining and grumbling or worrying, speak words of faith, and confess the promises of God. Sing praises in English or in tongues.
3. Make time for Him. Seek intimacy with God as a number one priority. Reduce or eliminate your TV time. This leaves more time for Him. Make Him first in your life.
4. Be quiet and listen for His voice. Ask many questions! Even Ask God what questions to ask!
6. Write down what God speaks to you. Thank Him for speaking, and ask Him more questions. Have paper and pen beside your bed and write down what He speaks to you at night through dreams or impressions.
7. Have bible CDs or anointed teaching CDs playing much of the time.
As you practice these principles, you will find hearing His voice easier and easier. You faith and intimacy with God will grow by leaps and bounds
The Chappell Ministries, Inc.
P. O. Box 172
Bartow, Florida 33831 (863) 221-1479
EMail Jchap777@aol.com www.Laughcry.org